Making the right arrangements for your children is a vitally important part of sorting out your lives after a divorce. You need to focus on what is in your children's best interests, regardless of the parents' feelings towards each other.
If you are going through a relationship breakdown and need to make vital decisions about matters like:
- Where and with whom your children will live
- How much time they will spend with each parent
- When and what other types of contact take place (phone/video calls, for example)
- The arrangement of special event days such as birthdays, Christmas, and school holidays,
- How they will be brought up, for example, where they will go to school
- Child maintenance payments
You can conclude an amicable agreement with your spouse which will allow you to document your child arrangements clearly so that both parents understand their rights and obligations. Having a written record in place decreases the potential for future conflict.
If the parents cannot agree things between themselves, they can apply to the court for a child arrangements order.
We can provide practical advice and professional support your legal rights and ensure that the bests interests of your children are met.